I thought about writing an obituary, but then I would just be sitting on my bed crying over something that Chris and Lori think is crap; so I have turned to writing a short memoir(still crying on my bed over something I don't think is all that crappy) about someone who has always been there for me until..... yesterday.
My Car Newman
I got Newman when I was 16 years old...sadly I could only look at him because
1. I didn't have my license until I turned 17
2. I refused to learn to drive stick
After I got my license Newman and I were instant enemies.He was a stick shift & I had no desire to learn. I could not get anywhere because he was born with manual transmission. Poor guy couldn't help it that's just how he was made, but at the time I didn't care.
My dad's theory was to put me in the car and I would figure it out. Thats how I learned to swim and I became pretty darn good at it so the obvious answer would be to do that when driving....or so he thought.
Newman and I had an awful first drive to school together. I stalled at least 17 times. Rolled backwards down a hill and almost took out 4 cars oh, and lets not forget almost getting hit by a bus. My house is 8 minutes from my high school and I arrived an hour and a half late, sputtering into the parking lot. Tears were rolling down my eyes as I cursed my car for not being an automatic.
I of course learned to drive my car and it took me everywhere. It even brought me to the ice land of Logan, Utah and stuck with me there through snow and wind. We had a few tires blow, okay maybe 7 to be exact & the axle replaced 3 times. I may or may not have re bought my car twice. Yet, he still got me from point A to B safely with my tunes blasting and AC or heat always working, and thats what mattered.
Sadly, Newman had his last trip home to Vegas with me yesterday. Chris and I were heading to my home in Vegas to see my family & get him to the airport the following day. Chris drove most of the way and I drove the last stretch. Life was fine and dandy Newman and I had made this trip together more times than I can count. Then, all of the sudden the car started to shake. I feared we were going to get whoop lash so I pulled over. I knew that feeling well, my tire was going to blow. I am pretty much a professional when it comes to Newman and his tires so I figured meh, ill just change it now. Lo and behold every single tire was perfectly fine. So I get back in the car & Chris reassures me that will make the last 40 miles home to Vegas and be just fine. I went about 40 to 50 mph with my hazards on the whole way & made it home alive.
The next day I take Newman out to lunch and he is still shaking but drivable. Once my dad gets home he takes it out for a drive to see whats wrong. He pulls up at the end of his drive and Newman is a HOT MESS! Literally he smells bad, my brother has to push him the rest of the way home and he will no longer move.
Newman lived a long life, and a good one. He may not have been a Luxury car but he did what he needed too. I always complained about wanting to buy a new car, I guess you really never know what you have until it is gone. I am now car-less, for the first time in my life with no prospects of getting a new car until my job starts paying me more, which probably wont happen.
Good thing Logan has a bus system, Lori is taking Chris and I back after school starts, and Walter is a great enough friend to lend me his car until I find a way to fix my situation.
R.I.P Newman you are one missed car.
No comments:
Post a Comment